Federal Work-Study Program

Apply to the Work-Study Employment Program

Also known as FWSP or "Work-Study", the Federal Work-Study Program is an employment program for some, but not all, of those receiving financial Aid. Through FWSP, the federal government pays from 75% to 100% of an eligible student's wages, making it easier for an employer to hire a student or for a student to find the right job.

Students "on Work-Study" are at least half time students maintaining a minimum of 6 credits per semester, U.S. citizens or permanent residents, who qualify for federal financial aid based on the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and other financial aid application information. These students may apply for Work-Study jobs posted on the web site for the indicated school year.

The federal share of a student's FWS wage is determined by the position. The standard federal share for on-campus and most off-campus positions in non-profit organizations is 75% and the wages of students serving as reading and math tutors under the America Reads and America Counts programs are reimbursed at 100%.

Apply for Work-Study Employment


Not all students receiving financial aid are eligible for Work-Study. Make sure you confirm your eligibility by clicking the link below before you apply for a Work-Study position.

  • If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and your financial need meets the requirements set by federal rules, you will then be eligible for Work-Study.
  • International students, and incoming freshman students who have not yet registered are NOT eligible for Federal Work-Study.

  Click here to see if you qualify. (Use your MyWilmU Log-in)


To determine your eligibility, you will need to make an appointment with Career Services via Handshake (Work-Study Eligibility Appointment). When making this appointment please make sure your resume is uploaded to Handshake.

  • At the completion of your Work-Study Eligibility Appointment, you will be directed to either apply for available work-study positions or further career development assistance.
  • Once you have interviewed and been hired to fill a position, the following forms are required and must be completed and turned in with all other requested documents.
    • Employment Eligibility Verification
    • W-4 Form
    • Direct Deposit.

You may not begin work until these forms are received by the Work-Study coordinator. There are more rules for Work-Study positions than for regular jobs. To meet the federal requirement that FWS students make satisfactory academic progress. Wilmington University has limited the time students may work to 20-25 hours a week while classes are in session. There is no compensation for sick days or legal and religious holidays. Finally, students may not earn more than their FWS award ceiling which is determined by the financial aid office. There is often some flexibility with FWS award amount, so it is never a mistake to make sure your award is firm. Contact the Work-Study Coordinator with any questions or concerns you may have in regards to you Award amount.

FWS Award Ceiling

FWS Award Amounts are the maximum you may earn in Work-Study wages, but they can change in the course of a year depending on your financial aid. It is always a good idea to check with the Financial Aid Office to confirm your AWARD.

Regulations governing the Federal Work-Study Program require that institutions award Work-Study eligibility to students in specific amounts reflecting their financial need. At the time you receive your award letter, the amount indicated for FWS equals your remaining need at the time. If you receive outside awards or take a loan in an amount different from what was listed in your financial aid award, your award will change.

Outside Awards

Outside awards (National Merit Scholarships, for example) reduce the term-time job and/or loan component of your financial aid package. As the Financial Aid Office becomes aware of your outside awards, they will incorporate it into your financial aid package, affecting your loan and/or term-time job.

Payroll Procedures

Students are required to submit timesheets electronically on Employee portal themselves and their supervisor are required to sign on or before the date indicated on their time sheet(s). Time sheets turned in after the specified DATE and TIME will not make payroll until the next pay period. Payroll is done on the 15th, and 30th of every month.

Students are strongly encouraged to set up a bank account in advance to which checks can be deposited directly.

Many students are confused by the term "Work-Study" thinking their eligibility is simply based upon them working" while studying at school. The Federal Work-Study Employment Program refers specifically to a federally funded program designed to create jobs to help students meet their educational expenses.