Academic Advising Frequently Asked Questions

What is the average class size?

The average class size is 17.

Who should I contact with any questions I may have?

Your Advisor would be able to answer any questions you may have. See Contact Academic Advising.

When is drop/add?

For semester and block classes the drop/add deadline is 7 days after classes begin. For Modular classes the deadline is the Monday following the first weekend session. For a list of drop/add dates check your most current registration booklet or online. Student athletes must meet with the athlete advisor.

What does it mean to withdraw from a class?

Withdrawing from a course happens if you need to drop out of a course after the drop/add deadline. After the drop deadline, you must WITHDRAW from a course to avoid receiving a grade of FA or NA (equivalent to an F in your GPA). An official course withdrawal appears on your transcript as a grade W, which does not factor into your GPA. You can withdraw from your courses online through My WilmU.

How many semesters are in a year?

Wilmington University offers three semesters in the academic year, fall, spring and summer. Each semester is 15 weeks in length and classes are offered during the day and the evening. There are 2 blocks offered within each semester. Each block course is 7 weeks in length. Students have the option of taking block and/or semester courses. It is strongly suggested that freshmen begin with semester format.

How do I know what classes to take?

Review your Degree Works in myWilmU to see a list of remaining courses in your program. Course and program offerings vary by WilmU location. Please refer to the course schedule for specifics. Contact Academic Advising for assistance with course selection.

Who is my Academic Advisor?

Graduate students (master's and doctoral students) are advised by their Program Chair or Program Coordinator at their University location. Undergraduate Students are not assigned an individual academic advisor. See Contact Academic Advising for more information.

What is Canvas?

Canvas is Wilmington University’s online learning platform where instructors and students can access course materials and communicate online. Learn more about Canvas.

Am I required to take placement assessments?

Yes. Placement assessments are required for all entering students before you can register for English or Math courses. Some students may be exempt based on standardized test scores or transfer credits. See English and Math Placement Assessments for more information.

Will my parents get my grades?

Parents can get your grades only if you have signed a release of information form, granting them access to your private information while you are a student. Federal legislation has mandated policies and procedures that colleges must follow. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), also known as the Buckley Amendment, was designed “to assure parents of students, and students themselves if they are over the age of eighteen or attending an institution of post-secondary education, access to their educational records and to protect such individuals’ rights to privacy by limiting the transferability (and disclosure) of their records without their consent”. For further information visit the Privacy Policy section of our website.

What is a typical course load?

To be considered a full-time student you must be enrolled in at least 12 semester credit hours for the term. This is important if you need to be full time for financial aid or health or auto insurance qualifications.

What is a pre-requisite?

A pre-requisite means there is/are courses which must be taken before you can enroll in a course. For example, you must successfully complete English Composition I before enrolling in English Composition II.

What does credit hour mean?

Each credit hour is a unit of measurement used by a college. Each credit course is assigned a particular number of credit hours, depending on the number of times the class meets and the number of clock hours it meets during the semester or block. Three is the most common number of credits for a semester course at Wilmington University.

What is a transcript?

A transcript is the official record of your academic history at an institution. An official transcript will have the seal of the college on it.

How do I obtain a copy of my academic transcript?

Please see Transcript Requests for options and instructions for viewing or requesting your transcript.

If I choose to take a class again is the old grade removed from my transcript?

The original grade you received for that particular class will always remain on the transcript. However, the highest grade is calculated into the cumulative grade point average. A course may be repeated up to 3 times for a total of 4 attempts.

When do I get my semester grade report? Is it mailed to me?

Students are able to access their grades through myWilmU. See My Grades tab on your home page. Grades are not mailed to students.

How do I register to graduate?

Students must submit an Application for Graduation and a non-refundable fee in myWilmU. Students are advised to consult an advisor to see if they meet all the graduation requirements before submitting the form. Please see Graduation for complete information about graduation and commencement.

What should I do when I am close to completing my degree and graduating?

Students are advised to consult with their advisor to see if they meet all graduation requirements prior to submitting an Application for Graduation. Students must submit the application even if they choose not to participate in the ceremony.

What is a Completion Degree?

A Completion Degree is a personalized version of a bachelor's degree created exclusively for students who have completed an associate degree at an accredited institution. Completion Degrees are available for most WilmU B.S. degrees. A student who expects to transfer a completed associate degree should inform their Enrollment Counselor before registering for courses. A transcript with documentation of the conferred degree must be received by Wilmington University to confirm eligibility.