Getting Started for Military Service Members

Step 1 - Apply for Admission

Complete online Application for Admission along with the $35 application fee (non-refundable)

Step 2 - Apply for Education Benefits

1. Log onto to apply for your benefits or visit

  1. Complete a VA Form 22-1990 (Application for VA Education Benefits) if you have never used your Post 9/11 GI Bill ® benefits before.
  2. Complete a VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training) if you have used your Post 9/11 GI Bill ® benefits at another institution.
  3. Please allow 6-8 weeks for the VA Regional Processing Office to process your application.

2. You will then receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA by mail. The COE will detail the percentage of benefits you are eligible to receive through the VA. Please email a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to or Fax to Wilmington University’s VA Certifying Official, Mrs. Jennifer Bacci, at 302.328.5689. Please note: If your benefit rate is less than 100%, then you are responsible for the amount not covered by the VA.

3. For additional information regarding your Post-9/11 GI Bill ® benefit, please contact the VA at 1-888-GIBill-1.

Complete a VA Form 22-1990e (Application for Family Members to use Transferred Benefits) to apply for Transfer of Entitlement (TOE). The VA Form 22-1990e should only be completed and submitted to the VA by the family member after DoD has approved the request for Transfer of Education Benefit (TEB). Do not use VA Form 22-1990e to apply for transfer of education benefit.

Each military branch has its own TA application forms and procedures. Please contact your unit/installation education office to find out how to get started. If your TA request is approved, you must provide Wilmington University a copy. Please email a copy to

GI Bill ® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Step 3 - Submit Your Transcripts

Arrange for all official transcripts (military training, Joint Service Transcript (JST), Community College of the Air Force (CCAF), all previously attended colleges, CLEP/DSST exams) to be sent to Wilmington University. See Submitting Your Transcripts for instructions.

Request Military Transcripts at:

Step 4 - Review your Transfer Credit Evaluation

Once we have received and processed all your transcripts, your transfer credits will be visible in DegreeWorks. Log into myWilmU to see how the transfer credits apply to your program.

Step 5 - Register for Classes

See Registration for information and step-by-step instructions for registering for your first classes.

Step 6 - Get Ready to Start Classes

See New Students for checklists and helpful information for preparing for your first classes and getting the most from your WilmU experience.

Contact information

If you have any questions regarding a VA or TA program contact:

Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (MGIB-AD)
Chapter 33 - Post-9/11 GI Bill
Chapter 35 – Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA)
Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)
Chapter 1607 - Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)


Tuition Assistance (TA)

Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E)
James Webb, Director of Military Affairs
Phone: (302) 535-2332 or email: